Zapier is great for connecting two or more apps and automating repetitive tasks. It allows you to move information between your web apps automatically and since Unless provides you with various data points that would be even more valuable when used in combination with other apps, a Zapier integration was a no-brainer!
How to get this set up?
- Go to the Unless dashboard and choose the Zapier integration.
- First, click on the activate toggle switch at the top right corner to activate this integration. Then click on the “start your Zapier integration process” link.
- Going through the steps will enable the Unless integration for your Zapier account.
Make that first Zap with Unless
It takes two (or more) to Zap so for the purposes of this how-to we will make a Zap with Unless and Google Sheets but you can feel free to get creative and use Unless in relation to other apps too!
The idea will be to send information to Zapier when a visitor gets identified in Unless. Then Zapier can send this information to Google Sheets and place that identified visitor on a new row in the sheet we’ve created.
- First things first, in your Zapier dashboard, click that big orange button that says “Make a Zap!”.
- Next, in the search field, type “Unless” and you will see our logo, click on it to continue.
- Now, you will have to authenticate yourself.
- Once you click on the sign-in button, another page will be loaded in a separate tab in your browser. There you will be asked for your API Key as well as your Account ID, which you can find in the first tab of the Zapier integration pop-up window in the dashboard.
- After you’ve filled in the information and clicked “yes, continue” you will be brought back to the previous tab and you will see that you are now logged in.
- In the next screen you will be able to test your connection and if successful move forward.
- Now that Unless is good to go, we should set up the accompanying app, in this case, Google Sheets.
- The process will be similar to before. Search for Google Sheets and click on its icon.
- In the next screen, you have to select an action which you want to perform once new data comes in. In our case, the data is a single identified visitor and the action is to create a new row in the spreadsheet so the screen will look something like this:
- Now, you need to authenticate for Google Sheets. If you currently are not, follow the same steps as before.
- In the next screen, you have to select your Google Drive, a particular Sheets document and then the sheet in the document on which you want to save your data.
- Next, you also have to map the data you will receive from Unless to the structure of your Sheets document. This is a very important step.
- You have to create the spreadsheet beforehand and give names to all the columns which will hold data. For example, if Unless sends you “email” as a data point, then in the spreadsheet there should be a column with the name “Email”. This ensures that Zapier will list all available columns for which you can then choose a single data point coming from Unless. At this point, the screen will look something like this:
- Here you can test whether you will receive the data you want and whether it will map accordingly to the available columns in your Google Sheet document.
- After you finish with the setup process, you can go to your dashboard under the My Zaps section. There you will see your Zap but it is still inactive. To turn it on you have to click on the toggle button which now says “Off” and you are all set!