Learn how to segment visitors based on data from Facebook ad targeting and how to create a hyper-targeted website experience.
While setting up your ad campaigns, Facebook lets you tab into their endless pool of data. Typically, you'd use this data to create targeted ads. Most likely, you'll even set up a dedicated landing page but that's it - once a visitor moves past the landing page, all targeting data Facebook provided is lost. Not with Unless.
By creating audiences based on your ads, you can store the Facebook data in form of audience memberships. This way you can personalize the entire website experience - including later web sessions.
Inspiration & ideas for ad-based audiences
- Gender-specific offers: You run different ads for men/women? Set up audiences for that. Based on the ad a visitor clicks on, they'll join the "men" or "women" audience. Next, you'll be able to personalize the entire website for each group - different product suggestions, different discounts, different testimonials. In later web sessions, the visitor will still be correctly identified as a member of the men/women audience - again, experiencing a personalized website.
- Change your tone of voice based on visitors' age: with Facebook ads you can tap into an infinite pool of data. Your ad targets 20-somethings interested in climbing? Set up a "young climbers" audience for that. Once someone clicks on the ad, they'll become part of the audience. Next, you'll be able to personalize the entire website for this group - including later web session.
- Website tailored to interest: Your product portfolio caters to different interests or tastes and you run interest-specific ads? Take it one step further with audiences. You sell concert tickets? Create different versions of your website tailored to audiences' taste in music. You sell women's shoes? Show a coupon for sport shoes to runners and inform party-goers about your discount on high-heels.
- Create a retargeting experience: You're using Facebook’s Custom Audiences feature to create ads that get people back to your website? Combine that with a personalized website experience for returning visitors.
- Firmographic personalization: Your ad targeting is set up based on industry or job title? Typically, this means that business background influences what a potential customer cherishes in your product. So, create audiences based on industry, company, or job title. Next, highlight the features that are important to each group (mainly on your homepage and features page).
How to set up audiences based on Facebook data
The formula mentioned in the video is:
What are URL parameters?
Parameters are little snippets of information, added to a URL. They transfer information between places and are great for creating a personalized website experience. In case of Facebook ads, the information will be typically send via UTM parameters.
If you're not sure how to create an audience based on URL parameters, if you'd like to learn more about the different options, or read some tips and tricks, take a look at this guide.